Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The planning begins...

Fairly early on in our engagement, we decided that we wanted an early spring (late March/early April) wedding. This is considered off season for our preferred geographical location and thus, would help keep costs down, but would also give us a decent chance of having nice weather. With a general date set, I knew the serious planning was upon us.

When you're newly engaged and you have no idea how to even begin to plan your wedding, you have several options to get started.

Wedding websites are the most accessible option. But, accessible is not always good. The sites' "real weddings" may have been thrown by actual couples getting married (not hired actors or drones) but these people are in no way "real". Even the supposedly simple, understated weddings have a level of coordination and detail that a "real" person would never be able to achieve.

The next available option to early brides-to-be are wedding magazines. I bought a couple of these and quickly realized that they're not so much magazines that inform you of the planning process, but are basically 200 page ads for hideous wedding gowns. I hoped to find at least one magazine that would be useful for someone who has no clue, and my aunt (who recently planned a wedding of her own) suggested I pick up a copy of "Real Simple Weddings". I thought, "Real Simple...sounds like this will, you know, make things simple".

"Real Simple" is basically a book of lists...what you should do 12 months out (everything!), 9 months out (minor details for everything!), 6 months out (firm up all of your minor details for everything!), 3 months out (begin a complete physical makeover!) and one month out (prepare for mayhem!). While I appreciated the organization, I felt completed overwhelmed by page 3. I was in full on panic attack mode, slammed the magazine shut and left it at that. This magazine still mocks me daily from my coffee table.

None of these have helped so far, so next time I post, I'll talk about the worst decision I've made so far: going to a bridal show.

No comments:

Post a Comment